The Basic Shotgun Class
Shotgun shooting is a lot of fun and can be done by most people if they are taught and understand the basics. The shotgun is a very versatile firearm and is used for sport shooting, hunting, and personal and home defense. With that versatility there are also an array of myths that are associated as well.
The Basic Shotgun course teaches you the fundamental knowledge, skills, and attitude for the safe use of a shotgun for target shooting. This course takes the mystery out of and dispels the myths of shotgun shooting. The intent of the class is to introduce and give practical hands on experience through practical exercises to safely handle and shot moving targets using a shotgun.
The course provides instruction in:
- Shotgun Knowledge and Safe Handling
- Ammunition Knowledge and the Fundamentals of Shotgun Shooting.
- Firing the First Shots (Range commands, moving targets, cleaning and caring for your shotgun.)
- Shotgun and Shooting Skills Practical Exercise.
- Shotgun sports and Activities.
The Basic Shotgun course is an estimated 10 hours in length based on the NRA provided lesson plans. However, based on student participation and previous experience of students the time may vary.
Personal safety equipment you will need for the range portion of the class:
- Eye protection
- Ear protection (Electronic over the ear protection is preferred)
- Ball cap
- Close toed shoes
- Collared Shirt (Optional but highly recommended)
Equipment and supplies needed for range exercises:
- A 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. We have some available for use, or you may bring your own. Note – Instructor will inspect student provided shotguns and reserves the right to request shotgun be checked by a gunsmith before use.
- 2 each boxes (or 50 rounds) of ammo for the shotgun you are using with 1 1/8-ounce of No 7 ½ to No. 9 Shot.
All students will receive a NRA student packet which includes the course book, Winchester/NRA Marksman qualification program book, and handouts.
Students will receive feedback on the shooting exercises and receive a certificate upon successful completion of all lessons. There is a short written test at the end of the course to complete the lessons.
Price for the The Basic Shotgun Class:
- Price for early registration is $100. Late registration or at the door is $125
- Early registration is done through our Training Schedule or calling Frank @ 512-590-0754
- Pricing for Private and Group training is available upon request.
We take cash, or check.